An Overview of Rubber Adhesives
What is rubber?
Rubber is defined as “a tough elastic polymeric substance that is made from the latex of a tropical plant or manufactured synthetically.”
History of rubber
The first evidence of the use of rubber is found in the indigenous cultures of Mesoamerica and later in the Maya and Aztec cultures. Today, rubber can be found everywhere.
Why is rubber a crucial element?
It is an essential polymer in countless everyday products such as tyres, footwear, clothing, sports equipment and kitchen appliances. Rubber has several industrial plus commercial use including electrical insulation, PPE, seals and gaskets, hydraulics, rubber drive belts, roof coatings and adhesives.
Rubber in adhesives
The rubber used in adhesives can be derived from a natural source or can be synthetically procured. However, both natural and synthetic rubber adhesives have similar properties but offer several usability differences.
Let’s understand natural rubber adhesive.
Derived from the latex of Hevea brasiliensis plants, natural rubber is known for its flexibility and elasticity which makes it amazing for bonding porous material such as paper, leather and fabrics. However, natural rubber in its natural state does not has any glueing properties and is mixed with synthetic additives and resins to gain adhesive qualities.
Limitations of natural rubber adhesives:
• They cannot withstand high temperatures.
• Its adhesive properties rapidly degrade.
• Not suitable for outdoor applications.
• Low chemical, oil and solvent resistance.
Let’s understand synthetic rubber adhesive
Rubbers manufactured in chemical plants, factories and laboratories using petrochemical sources are called synthetic rubber adhesives. And since it is man-made the properties of synthetic rubber adhesives can be altered to meet the end needs.
What are the benefits of using synthetic rubber adhesive?
Now that we have understood the difference between natural and synthetic rubber. Let’s see why synthetic rubber is so popular. The reason behind the popularity of synthetic rubber adhesive is –
1. Is not tacky to use – Synthetic rubber adhesives dries off quickly but does not leave any mark behind. It is easy to remove a synthetic rubber adhesive without leaving any trace behind.
2. Is weather-proof – These adhesives can be used in extreme weather conditions. It is not impacted by the weather or temperature change. One can get the job done using synthetic rubber adhesives without worrying about overwhelming heat and chilling cold.
3. Is chemical and contamination resistant – With its chemical resistance and contamination-proof feature, it is possible to work in any environment using synthetic rubber adhesives.
4. Does not lose its stability with age – Synthetic rubber adhesive’s binding ability gets better with age if compared with natural rubber adhesives. A good quality synthetic rubber adhesive binds with a strong force and is long-lasting.
5. Easy to work on irregular surfaces – Good quality synthetic rubber adhesive has greater conformability and stability which makes it easy to work with on irregular, rough surfaces.
Why should one consider using synthetic rubber adhesive over natural rubber adhesive?
The synthetic rubber adhesives are:
• Easy to use for in-house application
• Safe to use
• High performing
Pidilite’s Synthetic Rubber Adhesive
Pidilite Industrial Products offers some of its notable synthetic adhesives under its Fevicol synthetic rubber adhesive product line, such as
• FEVICOL SR 998FW TF: It is a toluene-free, synthetic rubber adhesive, suitable for attaching soles in all types of high-quality footwear.
• FEVICOL SR 998 IS: It is a synthetic rubber-based solvent containing contact adhesives specially designed for the industrial segment.
Fevicol rubber adhesive is known for its quality, strength & durability and offers tons of products suiting every industrial need.