What is Anaerobic adhesives?
Anaerobic adhesives are one-part adhesives, which are stable at room temperature for an extended period of time and only polymerize when oxygen is excluded after assembly of a part with the adhesive. They are generally composed of dimethacrylate monomers that cure only in the absence of air.
Features of Anaerobic adhesives
1. Anaerobic adhesives are less toxic than other acrylics, have a mild, inoffensive odor, and are not corrosive to metals.
2. Anaerobic adhesives are stored in partially filled polyethylene containers, in which the ratio of air-exposed surface to volume is high. A range of viscosities are available and these adhesives can fill bond gaps from 0.025 mm to ∼1 mm.
3. Joints produced using anaerobic adhesives can withstand exposure to organic solvents and water, weathering, and temperatures of up to about 200°CAdvantages include cure-on-demand functionality, low odor levels, single-part room temperature curing and high levels of durability. Disadvantages include limited gap cure, unsuitable for porous surfaces, and poor performance with some thermoplastics.
1. Thread lockers These are high, medium and low strength anaerobic formulations specially designed to seal and lock studs, nuts, bolts and small screws. Wicking grades are specially developed for preassembled parts. These products wick between engaged threads and eliminate the need to disassemble prior to application.
2. Retainers These are specially formulated anaerobic retaining compounds designed to provide holding and retaining power for round and cylindrical parts, such as bearings, by contact.
3. Gasketing This is a specially formulated anaerobic FIP Gasket to fill gaps, racks, hills, micro porosities by matting a 100% solid content. It forms a high strength seal between flanges.
4. Pipe / Thread / Hydraulic sealants These are anaerobic speciality formulations for pipe joints/fittings (pneumatic and hydraulic) applications. These are designed to be used for pipe joints, pneumatic fittings and can be used in place of teflon tape.
5. Pre-applied solutions Pre-applied threadlocker coatings eliminate the need to apply liquid sealants, adhesives, or any other mechanical locking or sealing device to threaded parts during manual or automatic assembly. These dry-to-touch pre-applied threadlockers are applied to screws and bolts commonly used for automotive or other high-volume part applications. Customizable to meet specific customer applications, they are available with various strengths, temperature resistance ranges, and lubricating properties.